Welcome New Families
On behalf of the parent community, welcome to Tokeneke Elementary School!
As a new member of the school, you are also a part of our Tokeneke Parent-Teacher Organization (TPTO). We are a parent-run collective set up to leverage parent talent and time for the benefit of our school, our children, and our community. There are several school-wide events and programs that are coordinated through the TPTO in partnership with the school administration.
We know that starting a new school can be overwhelming so we have bundled some resources together all on this one page to make the transition easier. Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. If you have any questions, please feel free to email questions to our TPTO Co-Chairs Christian Childs and Laurie Duarte.
Countdown to the First Day of School
For registration in Tokeneke School complete the registration and health forms, and the completed forms with you to Tokeneke School.
- Kindergarten parents and students will meet on August 31 for 1 hour
- All grades (K-5) officially start the school year with a full day on September 1, 2017
- School Hours 8:25 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- 2017-2018 School Calendar (Download PDF)
- 8:30 arrivals will start at 10:40 a.m.
- 9:30 arrivals will start at 11:40 a.m.
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) 8:30 arrivals will start at 10:40 a.m.
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) 9:30 arrivals will start at 11:40 a.m.
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Early Morning Dismissal
- Grades K-5 will dismiss at 11:00 a.m.
- No lunches will be served at school
- Tokeneke students will have a snack prior to dismissal
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) students will be dismissed at 10:00 a.m.
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Early Afternoon Dismissal
- Grades K-5 will dismiss at 12:55 p.m.
- Lunch will be served to all students
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) students will be dismissed at 12:00 p.m.
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Sign-up for SchoolMessenger at http://www.schoolmessenger.com/txtmsg. Simply text any one of the following words to the number 68453: subscribe, option, or yes. This way, you can receive emergency information via email and text on your cell phones.
Change in Departure Notification
The Darien Public Schools launched School Dismissal Manager (SDM) on February 1, 2017 as the district’s main way of tracking elementary school students and ensuring their safe arrival at an alternate destination after school. SDM replaces written notes, phone calls, and emails in notifying elementary school staff about a pickup time change, play date, or after school activity. SDM enables parents to digitally notify school staff of a change in their child’s regular dismissal plan.
- Elementary Principals’ Letter
- School Dismissal Manager Welcome Letter (includes information on password resets and frequently asked questions)
Sign-up for School Communications
All Darien schools are now using ASPEN, a secure, Web-based school information management system to collect contact and medical emergency information for your children. Please follow these steps as soon as possible so we have your child’s information for the start of school.
ASPEN Family Portal Sign-up
Create an ASPEN account if you don’t have one. Accounts are issued for your whole family.
- Go to http://www.darienps.org to complete and submit the form to get your account started.
- Allow at least 2 weeks for processing.
- You will receive your username/password at your registered home address.
- When you receive your login information, visit the https://aspen.darienps.org/aspen/logon.do and review the contact and emergency medical information for each of your children to assure that it is complete and accurate.
- Please fill out all tabs for each child.
- Your initials are required on the final tab in order for the information to process.
- You can update emergency information at any time. It takes 24 hours for new or updated information to be posted to ASPEN.
Your ASPEN account will give you access to School Messenger for email and text alerts related to school closings and changes is school schedules. If you have any questions or issues with your ASPEN account, please email email@example.com
Our TPTO “Friendly Family” team is excited to host summer playdates so incoming kids (and parents) can get to know each other before school! Dates and times are listed below, but subject to change based on weather. All playdates will be at Tokeneke School, unless specified otherwise. Look for a confirmation email a few days before!
|Monday||July 31||4:00 pm||Kindergarten Playground||Kindergarten Only|
|Monday||August 21||4:00 pm||Kindergarten Playground||Kindergarten Only|
|Saturday||August 26||10:00 am||Kindergarten Playground||Kindergarten Only|
|Saturday||August 26||10:00 am||Main Playground||Grades 1-5|
For any incoming families that wish to be connected to a Veteran Tokeneke Family, please contact Friendly Family Co-Chairs Jacki Calabro and Jodi Sorrells at FriendlyFamilies@tokenekepto.com.
View Back-to-School Supplies Lists or order Supplies Online starting April 17. Learn more…
Lunch & Snacks
Riding the Bus
Families can now find student transportation and bus information online, including Bus Routes, Transportation for Kindergarten Students, Safety, and Transportation Requests. Learn more…
Pick-up and Drop-off
- Pick-up and Drop-off are in the school parking lot
- Do not exit your vehicle while in line
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle on the sidewalk side
- No cars are allowed to enter the Bus Loop before 8:25 or from 2:45-3:15
- No cars are allowed to Park in the Drop-off and Pick-up Zone before 8:45 or from 2:45-3:15
- The designated fire lanes are for emergency vehicles ONLY
- If you park along Old Farm Road you will be towed
Have contact information available at your fingertips, keep it in your purse, car or house.
What if your child wanted to have a play date with a friend in their class, but you didn’t know their phone number? What if your child forgot their spelling words and needed to call a friend for homework help? How about if you were planning a party for your child and needed to know addresses in order to send out invitations?
The Tokeneke Family Directory is available for purchase at Parent Open House Night. Learn more…
First Days of School
Please remember that school starts promptly at 7:25 a.m. Weather permitting, Kindergarten students will meet at the Kindergarten playground before entering their classrooms. 1st-5th grade students will meet at the Main playground. On days when weather prohibits playground time, all students will meet in the Common Room before going to their classrooms.
If you are dropping off your child, please do so in the school parking lot. Do not double park or drop your child off in front of school.
Each classroom is assigned two room parents. Room parents facilitate communication between parents and the teacher, school administration and/or the TPTO, and supports the teacher in needs that may arise. Room Parent List…
Grade Level Coffee Schedule
This will be the first parent meeting for the school year. A general parent orientation will be done by the Principal, Vice-Principal, PTO Chairs, Pumpkin Carnival Chairs, and other key leaders. After this, a break-out, small group parent orientation will be lead by the room parents for each respective class. Coffee Schedule…
Parent Open House
Our school wide Parent Open House will be held in September 22 during the evening. This is an informative evening for parents and will be held in your student’s classrooms.
Open House Schedule…
Teacher Work Day
Step Up Ceremony for Fifth Grade Students 9:15 am
Last Day of School ELP _Early Release (Mon-Thurs. students ONLY) 12:00 pm
Last Day of School ELP _Early Release (Mon-Thurs. students ONLY)
Jun 14 @ 12:00 pm – 11:59 pm