Welcome New Families
On behalf of the parent community, welcome to Tokeneke Elementary School!
As a new member of the school, you are also a part of our Tokeneke Parent-Teacher Organization (TPTO). We are a parent-run collective set up to leverage parent talent and time for the benefit of our school, our children, and our community. There are several school-wide events and programs that are coordinated through the TPTO in partnership with the school administration.
We know that starting a new school can be overwhelming so we have bundled some resources together all on this one page to make the transition easier. Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. If you have any questions, please feel free to email questions to our TPTO Co-Chairs Christian Childs and Laurie Duarte.
Countdown to the First Day of School
For registration in Tokeneke School complete the registration and health forms, and the completed forms with you to Tokeneke School.
- Kindergarten parents and Kindergarten students will meet for orientation on August 31 from 9:00 to 10:30 am or 1:00 to 2:30pm
- Kindergarten student’s officially start the school year with a full day on September 1, 2017
- Students in grades 1-5 officially start the school year with a full day on August 31, 2017
- Regular School Hours are from 8:25 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- 2017-2018 School Calendar
- 8:30 arrivals will start at 10:40 a.m.
- 9:30 arrivals will start at 11:40 a.m.
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) 8:30 arrivals will start at 10:40 a.m.
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) 9:30 arrivals will start at 11:40 a.m.
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Early Morning Dismissal
- Grades K-5 will dismiss at 11:00 a.m.
- No lunches will be served at school
- Tokeneke students will have a snack prior to dismissal
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) students will be dismissed at 10:00 a.m.
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Early Afternoon Dismissal
- Grades K-5 will dismiss at 12:55 p.m.
- Lunch will be served to all students
- Tokeneke Early Learning Program (ELP) students will be dismissed at 12:00 p.m.
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Change in Departure Notification
The Darien Public Schools launched School Dismissal Manager (SDM) on February 1, 2017 as the district’s main way of tracking elementary school students and ensuring their safe arrival at an alternate destination after school. SDM replaces written notes, phone calls, and emails in notifying elementary school staff about a pickup time change, play date, or after school activity. SDM enables parents to digitally notify school staff of a change in their child’s regular dismissal plan.
- Elementary Principals’ Letter
- School Dismissal Manager Welcome Letter (includes information on password resets and frequently asked questions)
Sign-up for School Communications
Darien Public Schools are now using Aspen, a secure, Web-based school information management system to collect contact and medical emergency information for your children, as well as obtain parent consents and releases, and to distribute report cards and grades. Please follow these steps as soon as possible so we have your child’s information for the start of school. Please click here to learn more.
Our TPTO “Friendly Family” team is excited to host summer playdates so incoming kids (and parents) can get to know each other before school! Dates and times are listed below, but subject to change based on weather. All playdates will be at Tokeneke School, unless specified otherwise. Look for a confirmation email a few days before!
|Monday||July 31||4:00 pm||Kindergarten Playground||Kindergarten Only|
|Monday||August 21||4:00 pm||Kindergarten Playground||Kindergarten Only|
|Saturday||August 26||10:00 am||Kindergarten Playground||Kindergarten Only|
|Saturday||August 26||10:00 am||Main Playground||Grades 1-5|
View Back-to-School Supplies Lists. Learn more…
Lunch & Snacks
- Check with your room parents for classroom allergies; All classrooms are nut free
- Grades 1-5 can purchase snacks in school, click here for more information
2017-18 Lunch Menus
- Coming Soon
Grades K-12 Payment Center
With K12 Payment Center, you never have to worry about lost lunch money again. K12 Payment Center is a secure, easy and convenient way to apply funds directly to your student’s account online. You can even check the account balance and keep an eye on what your student is buying! As an added convenience, parents can receive a Low Balance notification email alerting the parent that the student’s account will need another payment applied soon.
K12 Payment Center has been designed to make it easy for you to know exactly what information you need to provide and to guide you through the process.
- $10 Membership fee (one-time only)
- Deposit money with ease using your debit or credit card
- Flexibility to deposit money into multiple student accounts with one payment
- View Account Balances
- View 90 day Meal History
- Low Balance Notification via email
To learn more view this flyer or visit the K12 Payment Center website to register. You simply need your student’s district student Id #. If you do not have this number you may obtain it from your student’s school.
Riding the Bus
Families can now find student transportation and bus information online, including Bus Routes, Transportation for Kindergarten Students, Safety, and Transportation Requests. Learn more…
Pick-up and Drop-off
- Pick-up and Drop-off are in the school parking lot
- Do not exit your vehicle while in line
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle on the sidewalk side
- No cars are allowed to enter the Bus Loop before 7:25 or from 2:45-3:15
- No cars are allowed to Park in the Drop-off and Pick-up Zone before 8:45 or from 2:45-3:15
- The designated fire lanes are for emergency vehicles ONLY
- If you park along Old Farm Road you will be towed
Have contact information available at your fingertips, keep it in your purse, car or house.
What if your child wanted to have a play date with a friend in their class, but you didn’t know their phone number? What if your child forgot their spelling words and needed to call a friend for homework help? How about if you were planning a party for your child and needed to know addresses in order to send out invitations?
The Tokeneke Family Directory is available for purchase at Parent Open House Night. Learn more…
|Thursday||August 31||9:00-10:20am||Kindergarten Classroom||New Kindergarten Students (morning)|
|Thursday||August 31||9:00-10:20am||Tokeneke Common Room||Kindergarten Parents (morning)*|
|Thursday||August 31||1:00-2:30pm||Kindergarten Classroom||New Kindergarten Students (afternoon)|
|Thursday||August 31||1:00-2:30pm||Common Room||Kindergarten Parents (afternoon)*|
First Days of School
Please remember that school starts promptly at 8:25 a.m. Weather permitting, Kindergarten students will meet at the Kindergarten playground before entering their classrooms. 1st-5th grade students will meet at the Main playground. On days when weather prohibits playground time, all students will meet in the Common Room before going to their classrooms.
If you are dropping off your child, please do so in the school parking lot. Do not double park or drop your child off in front of school.
Each classroom is assigned two room parents. Room parents facilitate communication between parents and the teacher, school administration and/or the TPTO, and supports the teacher in needs that may arise. Room Parent List…
Tokeneke PTO Calendar
Month-by-month list of holidays, meetings, events, and other dates relevant to the Tokeneke Parent-Teacher Organization (TPTO). 2017-2018 PTO Calendar…
Grade Level Coffee Schedule
This will be the first parent meeting for the school year. A general parent orientation will be done by the Principal, Vice-Principal, PTO Chairs, Pumpkin Carnival Chairs, and other key leaders. After this, a break-out, small group parent orientation will be lead by the room parents for each respective class. Coffee Schedule…
Parent Open House
Our school wide Parent Open House will be held in September 22 during the evening. This is an informative evening for parents and will be held in your student’s classrooms. Open House Schedule…
Darien After School
Darien After School Welcomes you to Tokeneke!
One of the many new and exciting adventures in elementary school is the chance to join friends and classmates for enriching and inspiring classes before and after school. With classes for students of all ages and interests, there is always something fun to do at Tokeneke before and after school.
How the program works:
A schedule of classes offered at Tokeneke this Fall Session from 10/2 through 12/21 can be seen at darienafterschool.com
When classes are in session, our Site Directors manage attendance, dismissal, and are on deck to assist instructors, students and parents, during class time. All Site Directors are First Aid, AED, and CPR-trained and handle medical and allergy protocols for all students.
Drop off for morning classes is at 7:30AM and students meet our morning Site Director in the Common Room.
At the end of the school day, children are dismissed from their classrooms to the Common Room where attendance is taken by our after school Site Director, Rose Colacicco, before heading to their class.
SCHOOL DISMISSAL MANAGER: All Students must have a dismissal note via the school district site https://www.schooldismissalmanager.com/parent_action.asp
Pick-up is at 4PM, just inside the Tokeneke main entrance/exit.
If you can’t join us this Fall, create an account today at darienafterschool.com, and we will keep you up to date when Winter and Spring class schedules are posted, and open for registration too.
Congratulations on the start of a new year at Tokeneke!