Parent-Teacher Conference Checklists
Before the conference
- Ask your child how she feels about school.
- Ask your child if there is anything that he wants you to talk about with his teacher.
- Tell your child that you and the teacher are meeting to help her.
- Make a list of topics that you want to talk about with the teacher.
- Prepare a list of questions such as:
- What are my child’s strongest and weakest subjects?
- Does my child hand homework in on time?
- Does my child participate in class?
- Does my child seem happy at school?
- What can I do at home to help?
During the conference (20 minute appointments)
- Be on time (or early) for the meeting.
- End the meeting on time. Other parents will probably have a conference after yours.
- Relax and be yourself.
- Ask the most important questions first.
- Ask for explanations of anything you don’t understand
- Ask your child’s teacher for ways that you can help your child at home.
- Thank the teacher.
After the conference
- Talk about the conference with your child.
- Talk about the positive points, and be direct about problems.
- Tell your child about any plans you and the teacher created.
- Keep in touch with the teacher during the school year.